LegacyGT.com

5w40 mobil 1 esp formula m

Anyone tried this oil?

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_ESP_Formula_M_5W-40.aspx

I live in San jose , mediterranean climate, our hot days can be cold in the mornings. Will this be a good oil for me? My local NAPA ordered 6 bottles for 40 bucks, great deal compared to oreily (12 bucks a bottle).

With all the talk about Rotella T6 I wanted to try something without Diesel on the front of the bottle.

What he ^ said or Castrol Syntec 5w-40, the t6 is easy to find.

I'm using Amsoil European Full SAPS 5w-40 5-6000 mile oil change intervals.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The Mobil 1/ESP is a very low ash, low ZDDP oil intended for the latest turbo diesels with particle filters. Due to the very low level of additives, it will not last very long in a gas engine turbo. If you're changing oil at 3000-5000 miles it will be okay, but there are better choices available from Mobil, including their 0w-40 European Formula, or 10w-40, High Mileage (HM), version of Mobil 1. The HM label is mainly advertising nonsense, but this is a good product.

TS

The Mobil 1/ESP is a very low ash, low ZDDP oil intended for the latest turbo diesels with particle filters. Due to the very low level of additives, it will not last very long in a gas engine turbo. If you're changing oil at 3000-5000 miles it will be okay, but there are better choices available from Mobil, including their 0w-40 European Formula, or 10w-40, High Mileage (HM), version of Mobil 1. The HM label is mainly advertising nonsense, but this is a good product.

TS

In other words, M1 ESP is girly man oil because of it's lower ZDDP levels.;) I wouldn't exceed 3,750 miles on the oil if you drive hard, or maybe 5k if you're an easy driver. Your best bet is to do a uoa with a TBN to determine a safe interval.

-Dennis

Dennis,

I haven't done the testing in my personal vehicles to really tell how long this stuff lasts. The starting TBN's are in the 5.5-6.5 range, however I suspect that TBN retention is very good. I may have to try the Amsoil 5w-30 Euro Formula in the Audi TT to get some actual test data....

TS

Dennis,

I haven't done the testing in my personal vehicles to really tell how long this stuff lasts. The starting TBN's are in the 5.5-6.5 range, however I suspect that TBN retention is very good. I may have to try the Amsoil 5w-30 Euro Formula in the Audi TT to get some actual test data....

TS

gathermewool over at iwsti and bitog is running the Amsoil 5W-30 Euro in his modified STI. At 6,854 miles, the TBN was 1.4. I believe Polaris/Oil Analyzer's Inc would flag this as a problem. Looks like Dyson may have as well. He also had a slight uptick in wear metals.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/243834-2008-sti-6854-miles-oci-amsoil-euro-5w-30-a.html

A 5k mile run probably would have looked much better. Can you really have your cake and eat it to? Nah, give me high levels of AW additives!

msilin - If you have a turbo, then M1 0W-40 is a very good choice IMO. Especially the SN verison. Actually, if you email Mobil1 about a recommendation for your application they probably would not recommend ESP.

-Dennis

Dennis,

I'd never run a 5w-30 in an STI. He'd do much better with the Amsoil 10w-40, or at least the DEO (their thickest 5w-40).

The low SAPS oils certainly don't last that long in turbocharged gas engines, using North American fuels....

Ted

Archived