LegacyGT.com

Common Problems?

InvisibleFrisbee

Other car forums I'm not for other cars I own (Audi A6 and Ford Mustang) will often sticky at the top of model specific forums a list of the common problems with versions of the cars.

I'm sure this same question gets asked over and over, but I can't find a good consolidated list of the common problems. I think I've located a good deal on a 2008 LGT spec.B. What are the common problems and maintenance issues with this car?

Material I'm looking for:

- TSBs or Recalls

- Major maintenance intervals (and parts that need to be replaced/inspected at those intervals)

- Common wear items, and average frequency of failure if applicable.

- Stuff that should be replaced NOW before it breaks to lengthen the life of the car.

- Common issues you just have to live with (ex: Audi 2.0T engine is known to burn excessive oil...just live with it or complain enough that the dealership might replace the engine).

If a thread similar to what I'm looking for already exits, please forgive my ignorance and point me the direction of said thread.

Edit: It seems that maybe a compiled list of issues may not exit. As a gearhead and a help to others, even though I'm a complete newbie, I'll start updating my first post here with information as it's found or posted further down in this thread so that others looking for this information can find it easily.

For information on the changes from model year to model year you can check this out: http://www.cars101.com/legacy.html

Common Across all models:

- TSB's on all years, sorted by year

- Musty smell in AC and it's fix.

1st Gen (89-94)

2nd Gen (94-99)

- Blown Head Gaskets

3rd Gen (98-03)

4th Gen (03-09)

- 2.5L turbo piston ring land failures

- 5MT can be notchy and stiff when cold

5th Gen (2010+)

- Shimming issue

• 1 month later...

My - 2008

Miles - 67K

Trans - manual

Age - 4

I've had alot of problems with this car.

struts/shocks/transfer case/headlights/tail lights, it's now in the dealership for blown head gasket - right side / bad cyclinder head and power steering pump.

I bought this car because of all the good things I've heard about Subie's. I'm now thinking about selling before my extended warranty ends next year.

• I Donated

These happen on all Subaru 2.5-liter turbo motors. Not just 08-09 LGT.

More additions:

Engine:

-- Late-08/early-09 bearing failures (this was a stop-sale recall item, and usually happened at pretty low mileages)

-- 07-08? intake manifold gaskets can leak, causing rough idle

-- Bearings may fail if turbo fails and engine is run with contaminated oil

Turbo/intake/exhaust:

-- VF40 turbo (05-06) is a common failure point

-- Both VF40 (05-06) and VF46 (07-09) can fail due to clogged banjo bolt filter and/or stuck oil control valve (OCV)

-- 05-06 catted up-pipe cat can break up and destroy turbo

-- Stock TMIC end tanks can separate at greater-than-stock boost levels

-- Turbo inlet tears easily when working around turbo, so may need to be replaced

-- Transmission/driveline/suspension:

-- 5MT 5th gear can break; other problems with 5MT on occasion

-- 5MT and 6MT transfer shaft bearings (the new bearings use a revised design)

-- 5EAT often cannot handle power levels significantly above stock

-- Rear wheel bearings (extended warranty up to 100k mi on 05 and early 06)

-- Front right axle boots can fail due to heat from turbo/exhaust

-- LCA and sway bar bushings wear out

Other:

-- Driver's window switch sticks (occurs mainly on 05s, but may become an issue on other years as the cars accumulate miles)

-- Headlight bulbs fail early and often

I want to update the first post with your information. So that I can keep the format consistent. The issues you list, can you list which versions of the LGT these affect. For example, is the headlight issue only for certain years or do all LGT's have this issue regardless of year?

• I Donated
I want to update the first post with your information. So that I can keep the format consistent. The issues you list, can you list which versions of the LGT these affect. For example, is the headlight issue only for certain years or do all LGT's have this issue regardless of year?

Unless I indicated specific years, the problems I posted apply to all years. Note that rear wheel bearings are a problem on all years, they're just especially an issue on the cars that received the extended warranty on them.

Archived