LegacyGT.com

Blow out - advice needed

So I was on my way to a cabin in the mountains last night when my front right snow tire blew out on my 08 spec b. There was nothing left and it totally effed my rim. I was able to swap the rear to the front and put the donut on the rear for short distance to the cabin. My understanding is that for manual trans I don't need to do anything with the awd fuse but correct me if I'm wrong. My car will sit until we leave on Friday but home is about a 3 hr drive from here. Will I be ok doing 55 mph all the home on a spare? Any other advice would be great. Sorry if this is supposed to be in the tire section.

Can you use the power of FedEx (or whomever) to get the rim of your choice delivered to a tire shop enroute to your home? At least that will cut down the slow portion of the drive home....

A steel rim wouldn't be a bad investment to have as a spare. Living rural I hate those space savers!

I wouldn't pay much compliment, if any, to a subaru engineer...... Some things ive discovered and things that go wrong force me to scratch my head and think 'wait a minute....there WERE engineers involved in the building of these cars..right?' Not to dis on subaru so much, it's just that i hate my legacy and probably won't have one again other than like a built sti. Off topic...do give a shiit?

you will be ok, they stamp "temporary use only" on the tire because its not rated to handle the abuse of every day driving, but as long as you go no faster then 55-60, you can drive on it the whole way home. usually when tires blow they will protect the bead seat part of the rim as long as you stopped right away. any pictures of the rim? sometimes even if it looks bad, the important parts of the rim are ok to remount a new tire. you can mount any tire on that rim, snow or summer so long as its the same overall size as the other three.

aren't you supposed to put the spare on the front, because the front is an open diff, so the difference in rolling circumference is less likely to cause any problems with the AWD system?

That was my understanding. I was under the impression the LSD doesn't like the spare. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Archived