LegacyGT.com

(VA) Norfolk area Subaru guy?

N2L

Anyone know a Subaru guy in the Norfolk area? I'm good with either a shop, or one of our guru-level driveway mechanics around here.

I'm buying an 05 OBXT with a blown turbo, and I was hoping I could get someone to take a look at it. I could take it to a dealer, but it would probably cost me a few hundred bucks just to have it evaluated. I know for a fact it's missing a MAF, and the turbo is bad. Some of you may have seen it. Its an OBXT limited missing both bumpers, the rear hatch, and some other exterior parts. It's fixable, but I'm trying to decide whether to fix it or part out.

This is a little out of my league ordinarily, but I'm taking a chance as it were to learn a little more. Never really messed with major components, and I figure it's time to get my feet wet.

Feel free to reply here, or shoot me a PM.

I appreciate anyone's help on this.

Appreciate the vote of support. I'll keep this comment in mind when I'm struggling.

Mainly, I'm taking the interior. It's a black leather limited. Just figured if I could learn something in the process: why not?

• Moderators

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the mentality that you are approaching this with--I'm very much the same way. However, you don't mention much of anything about what work you've done on your own car previously, what kind of tools you have available, etc. Leaves a lot of wondering for us / me to do...you have 15 posts, I'm not going to assume you know all the ins and outs of these cars--the lack of confidence is somewhat deserved until you show otherwise. That said, here's my advice / more info.

A "blown turbo" on these cars can mean a LOT of things. If you can't 100% prove otherwise, to be safe you generally have to assume that the shortblock needs to be replaced as well, along with nearly every component of the oiling system--pump, cooler, pan, etc. If you're not willing to rebuild the engine on an "unknown" car with a blown turbo, I personally wouldn't bother--just make it a parts car and sell what you can.

From the sound of it, a lot of the exterior is gone and you're taking the interior. The engine is also questionable and there's no turbo. The overall value as a parts car is quite limited already, keep that in mind. Now that I think of it, as a rebuild car (i.e. to get it back on the road) you'll spend way to much getting the body panels, a new interior, etc. for it to be worth it.

tl;dr-->if you want the interior and are happy dicking around with the motor and what not more or less for fun, go for it. Otherwise I would look for a more complete car.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I can rebuild anything naturally aspirated top to bottom, except a Wankel. What I don't understand are turbos, and the implications a blown turbo can have for the health of a motor. I have stayed away from "modern" engines for the most part. The most modern thing I'm comfortable taking apart and putting back together is a Volkswagen TDI (Yes its a turbo, but I let a real mechanic deal with all that). Otherwise I don't ordinarily dick with OBDII systems.

Sounds like a part out from what you said, but I would love to be more comfortable working on my own car. This would make a nice practice girl of sorts. I'm not really a fan of part outs is all. This is a clean titled OB with great maintenance history, and a detailed clean car fax. Seems like such a waste.

• Moderators
I can rebuild anything naturally aspirated top to bottom, except a Wankel. What I don't understand are turbos, and the implications a blown turbo can have for the health of a motor. I have stayed away from "modern" engines for the most part. The most modern thing I'm comfortable taking apart and putting back together is a Volkswagen TDI (Yes its a turbo, but I let a real mechanic deal with all that). Otherwise I don't ordinarily dick with OBDII systems.

Sounds like a part out from what you said, but I would love to be more comfortable working on my own car. This would make a nice practice girl of sorts. I'm not really a fan of part outs is all. This is a clean titled OB with great maintenance history, and a detailed clean car fax. Seems like such a waste.

The fact that you're comfortable rebuilding the motor kind of changes things, now doesn't it? ;)

Having a turbo doesn't change the way the actual engine operated, it's just an air pump added on the the engine (more or less). The problem with the turbos going on these cars is that there's the potential for metal fragments to end up circulating through the engine as a result. The end result there is fried bearing and what not--if not now, then over time. Many times all that needs to be done is to rebuild the shortblock--the long black is normally fine unless the car is driven on for a long time or the damage was extremely catastrophic.

It doesn't seem like a waste to me, really--by the time you pull the interior it sounds like half the car is already stripped. I guess you can put your stock interior back in (i'm guessing you're going for a color change?) so there's that, but then sourcing paint-matched body parts...? No thanks. It's a pretty big shot in the dark.

Your call though.

Yeah I'll be reinstalling (more than likely) Tan LGT Limited interior with about 60k miles on it. That's why I'm on the fence about it. The tan interior is in phenomenal shape, but I just want that SWP and Black look.

So as a local: Do you think there would be anyone around here looking for the whole thing? I'm not very well tuned to the BP chassis marketplace on this coast... Or should I just part it out and start shipping stuff all over the country? I feel as though a part out is going to be very time consuming.

• Moderators

If you just want the interior why not just save the trouble and make an offer to buy the interior? How much is the whole car as it sits now?

(and no, I don't know anyone looking for a half disassembled / blown motor outback, lol)

The seller didn't want to part it out. I know that sounds funny since they scavenged parts off of it. I got the whole car for what I would've offered for the interior. I would definitely make money on a part out. Worse case scenario I could break even on the tranny and riffs. I just wanted a second opinion since I don't know anyone into subaru a on this coast.

• Moderators
The seller didn't want to part it out. I know that sounds funny since they scavenged parts off of it. I got the whole car for what I would've offered for the interior. I would definitely make money on a part out. Worse case scenario I could break even on the tranny and riffs. I just wanted a second opinion since I don't know anyone into subaru a on this coast.

Wait, you bought it already? I see the CL ad for it now.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah there's not a huge following in our area for a parts outback I would say. Butttt just out of curiosity, what would you want for it? Everything that's there after your interior swap.

With my full tan leather interior and everything that's already there I'll probably list it at 3k. It's an OBXT limited with a clean title. So I think that's pretty fair for a starting price.

Archived