LegacyGT.com

Gear Oil Question

I'm going to be changing my front/rear diff and trans fluid tomorrow on my 08 6mt. I see many using the extra-s, but the dealership in my area does not have it and like I stated, I'd like to change it out tomorrow. Will I be okay using Mobil1 syn. LS 75-90 for everything? Will Lucas work as well? I'm limited in what is around the area that I can pick up tomorrow morning. I do have access to Castrol GL-5 at the shop.

You posted this on a Saturday night at 10PM and it's barely even noon yet Sunday morning, at least on the east coast. Have some patience, geez, people go out and stuff and sleep in.

Here's what I found:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/synthetic-gear-oili-144761.html

I just used Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic LS. Shifts like butter.

and

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/transmission-fluid-change-yes-have-used-search-button-192080.html

Tust me on this, don't use Castrol synthetic 75/90, you will get the famous 4th gear grind. I've used this before, along with several other members, and most of us started having this problem. Once I switched back to Subaru Extra-S, the problem was fixed. Gear box is smooth as butter.

Next time, go to Google and use a search like this:

castrol transmission site:legacygt.com

or

mobil ls site:legacygt.com

Much more effective than the in-site search we have in the corner.

I've been using Mobil synthetic in the rear diff and Redline 75-90 NS in the manual tranny. Redline is pretty good, but I'm considering the Subaru fluid, and you can get it from Fred Beans directly or via Amazon. Fred bottles it in quart containers.

There are only 3 things you should use in these diff's and tranny's, for 5mt's.

Subaru Exrta-S

3Qt's redline lightweight shockproof and the balance .8 qt Motul 300 with Motul 300 in the rear diff.

Amsoil Severgear 75w-90.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

There are only 3 things you should use in these diff's and tranny's, for 5mt's.

Subaru Exrta-S

3Qt's redline lightweight shockproof and the balance .8 qt Motul 300 with Motul 300 in the rear diff.

Amsoil Severgear 75w-90.

Max, he's got a 6mt. I was going to suggest BAC5.2's cocktail, but I wasn't sure if that should be used in the 6mt so I didn't post.

Archived