LegacyGT.com

Wash,cleaner wax,polish and wax

Im tired of hearing my wife's mouth about me spend so much time cleaning my car. It took me about 4 to 5 hours today to wash,use a cleaner wax, polish and wax today. On a average how long does it take you? And yes, I want her to read the comments! LOL

I detail on the side.. Today a customer got a full interior vacuum/scrub down of all carpets, door jambs, trunk jamb, Windows cleaned, strip wash, polish, glaze, wax, tires scrubbed, wheels cleaned, black plastics rejuvenated, and I think that's it.. Took about 5 hours. :D;)

Op, it also depends on what product you use. Cheaper products will be harder to apply and harder to wipe down. I use stuff that wipes on super easy and off just as easy, but is somewhat pricey to average consumers. Look up http://www.adamspolishes.com and also check out http://www.detailedimage.com and look into Chemical Guys.

Meguiar's make good stuff, but their best stuff is more found online (M105/M205, but they're more for machine polishing). I use Adam's Super V.R.T. It's a nongreasy, water repelling, SPF protection coating. It can also be used for tires and rubber trim. :)

Also search Autogeek.net for AIO products.

I am using Optimum Polymer stuff with good results.

I agree M105/205 for serious correction, but something like

Poli-Seal might be the ticket for you. I am also looking for good

results in less time. I've been using Optimum No Rinse car wash

with great results.

Lots of good info that will help you in the Autogeek.net forums.

It depends on which vehicle I'm doing and how thorough I'm being. :) Typically between 3 and 4 hours for a full detail inside and out with wash, clay, polish, and wax. But I'm using a machine too, so you can definitely expect that to be longer if you are doing it by hand. If you are doing a really good job and taking your time then I can see 4 or 5 hours pretty easily. That is actually a pretty good pace for doing it without a machine.

Tell your wife that the same job would cost her about $300 if she hired me to do it, so quit yer complaining. ;) $300 twice a year and a couple $180 maintenance jobs in between... I'd say she should be thanking you for saving that grand a year in detailing maintenance costs and preserving as much of the value of your car as you can.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Jeez you guys are quick. I Take around 16-24 hours for a 2-step polish (depending on size of car).

Just curious why it takes so long. What tools and products are you using? Even if you spent ten minutes per panel it shouldn't take that long. Short of wetsanding the entire car to eliminate orange peel, I can't imagine a job taking that long. It only takes me 12 hours to clay, polish and seal a Citation CJ3, so to spend twice that on a car just seems a little excessive.

OCDETAILS BLOG

That's usually including scratch correction at an average of about 8-11 scratches per car.

I rushed doing my car and it took my 16 hours. That's including:

Foam, Tar removal, Car Wash, De-Ironizer, Clay, 2-step Polish, Sealant.

The Wheels usually take me a while too as I wash and wax those as well.

I do know that an Acura RL I did the other day took me around 23 hours, but that paint was in absolutely horrible condition. It had heavy oxidation and swirling.

I'm using Menzerna Products with Sonax Products with Swissvax Products with Misc Meguiar's Products lol

Tools: Various Brushes and Mitts with the 7424XP with various pads and sizes.

Interiors also take me a while because people can be messy and I'm a perfectionist.

That's usually including scratch correction at an average of about 8-11 scratches per car.

I rushed doing my car and it took my 16 hours. That's including:

Foam, Tar removal, Car Wash, De-Ironizer, Clay, 2-step Polish, Sealant.

The Wheels usually take me a while too as I wash and wax those as well.

I do know that an Acura RL I did the other day took me around 23 hours, but that paint was in absolutely horrible condition. It had heavy oxidation and swirling.

I'm using Menzerna Products with Sonax Products with Swissvax Products with Misc Meguiar's Products lol

Tools: Various Brushes and Mitts with the 7424XP with various pads and sizes.

Interiors also take me a while because people can be messy and I'm a perfectionist.

to make that regiment even better, try glazing before sealing it and then wax it as the last step.

i usually do a strip wash, clay if needed, swirl remover (polish), glaze, sealant, and then wax.

i usually use a lot of products from the chemical guys. i love their products.

what do you recommend for a tire shine/black that lasts a while? i havent found one that lasts...

Chemical Guys is great stuff. For tire shine, Adam's Polishes Super V.R.T. works wonders. SPF protectant, water repelling, and decent life-span with two coats. Finishes nice and matte too..not greasy looking plus it's dry to the touch once you put it on.

Glaze should not go before the sealant. A sealant will not bond to a glaze. The surface should oil and wax free before laying down a sealant.

Man, if it is taking you 23 hours to do a car then I sure hope you get paid by the hour to do that. I don't have many people willing to leave a car with me for three days while I detail it anyway. I try to avoid vehicles that are beat to hell and require that much time to make right. I haven't ever had a project that took me more than 15 hours to do, and that was a jet. I did a boat that took 12 hours once, but the longest I've ever spent on a single vehicle with wheels was 8 hours.

How much does one charge for a three day project? Maybe I should start stretching it out a little. lol

OCDETAILS BLOG

I remember the thread about that jet. That was awesome.

You did that in 15 hours ? You are my hero !!

Being a detailing hobbyist it's not unusual for me to take all weekend,

Friday night til Sunday afternoon, to do a full exterior detail including,

2 stage polish, multiple layers of sealant, trim, wheelwells, wheels, glass,

etc., but that's just because I like to play around and find what I like and

what works for me. My wife's black acura suv is going to be the death of

me though. I'm already eager for spring so I can try and figure out how

to bring out that last little bit of clarity and sparkle in the finish. P085rd ?

I did my winter prep in 2 days. Wash and clay Friday night, meg 205 and Meg 21 Saturday night. After the kids and wife go to sleep, total about 6 hours. I use the 7424XP. It was the second time that car had been washed ever ( I had just gotten it). For the interior, I don't spend much time, vac, wipe down, Folex on spots, Aerospace 303, Stoners for windows; after all that is done, I may go back with several brushes to get to the other spots that I could not get to before. Usually about 2 hours.

Glaze should not go before the sealant. A sealant will not bond to a glaze. The surface should oil and wax free before laying down a sealant.

It can be done, but you need to wait 12-24 hours for the glaze to cure.

I did my last car in about 2 days too. Wash, Clay, 2.5 compound, 1 compound, polish, glaze, sealant, wax, wash (to clean excess compound dust off).

Polish/compounds take the longest because they need to be broken down and worked into the paint instead of apply and wipe. This was with the PC 7424 as well.

Regardless of if the product is cured or not, I'm telling you that polymer, acrylic, and ceramic sealants will not bond to oils and waxes or anything else with paint fillers in it. The only thing sealants bond with are other sealants. The whole thing that makes a glaze a glaze is the oils in it which make the surface look all wet. Dealerships use them all the time to hid swirls and rotary burns on paint. Then in a couple days when the oils evaporate you are left with a crappy paint job that wasn't there when you bought the car. The only thing a glaze is good for is hiding damage that you couldn't correct. It isn't a product that really belongs in a 23 hour detail. After 23 hours of polishing there better not be a mark on that paint. The glaze is simply not something that adds anything to the shine if you are dealing with perfect paint and are planning on using a sealant. You don't have to use every product in the cupboard when you detail. Sometimes it is just an either/or situation.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Lol, you're fast. I don't charge by the hour, but I will increase the price based upon how screwed up the paint/interior is. It's great when people leave a good amount of trash in the car thinking that I'll clean it and not increase the price because, "That's what I'm there to do anyway".

My starting rate for a 2-step is $375. Most times I take the wheels off and clean the calipers too. Same thing if the customer has a stainless steel or titanium exhaust.

I was turned on to Zano Bros line of car cleaners and washes (Z7 is what I use) when I needed to move away from what I was using. Awesome stuff! It even removes the stubborn bugs I collected each and every day, without tons of elbow grease. Once I washed and dried the car, then I use Turtle Wax Ice Premium Care for a good coat of wax. I have a black 2011 Cadillac Escalade EXT. The truck looks incredible when it's clean, but Holy Crap is it hard to wash and keep clean, so I needed to find the best thing I could, just to save myself from all the pain and agony of scrubbing and waxing constantly. The Ice wax lasts for a super long time too.

I use nothing but Adams products and it takes anywhere from 8-24 hours to detail my vehicles depending on the amount of correction needed, and that does not include any cure time.

If the paint is in good shape but I just want to make it look shiny I do everything by hand and it can take as little as 8 hours. If the paint needs a lot of correction I use my Porter Cable and it could take up to 24 hours to get to perfection.

Nothing against the Porter Cable, but when time is money you definitely want to look at something a little more efficient. If perfection is on the menu, then you want more power. Even if just saving some time is important, then you want a faster machine. The Flex 3401 reduces my time by about 30%. Considering I can fit another $300 job into the day because of the time savings, I'd say it is a worthwhile investment. It paid for itself the first weekend I used it. It is still a DA polisher, so it won't burn the paint like a rotary. But if you are spending 24 hours on paint, then you really should step up to a rotary anyway. You could probably cut the time in half if you did.

OCDETAILS BLOG

^ A Flex is on my to-buy list

Im not a pro-detailer and the PC has worked very well for me so far, but I do want a flex to move up to that next level, maybe this next summer I will think about upgrading.

usually when i spend up to 24 hours detailing it is a big 100% full detail including the engine bay, undercarriage, wheels, interior etc...

Average time for me is between 4 - 5 hours. Interior and exterior - wash, clay, machine polish, poly/sealant wax.

An extra 30 - 45 mins if I'm detailing the engine bay.

An extra 1 hour if i'm drinking. :lol:

My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived