LegacyGT.com

AP Pulley install

Ok, getting ready to install the pulley, but I was hoping I could stop the spinning of the crank with a screwdriver towards the rear of the motor on the passenger side. There is a hole by the ecu cables I saw you put a screwdriver in and that is suppose to stop the crank from moving.

It's not working... Can anyone tell me if that is what I am suppose to do?

one of the threads in the link will explain some. but mostly it is for the auto trans cars. the same will work for the 5 speed trans but you need to use threaded bolts in stead of screwdrivers. (apparently the holes are already thread.)

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Subaru%20conversion/valance019.jpg

This is what I was thinking... I saw a youtube video where you can put a screwdriver in the hole...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmF9Zuw-mwY]How to install COBB TUNED lightweight Crankshaft pulley 98 subaru legacy - YouTube[/ame]

At 2:30 this is where the screwdriver gets inserted.

one of the threads in the link will explain some. but mostly it is for the auto trans cars. the same will work for the 5 speed trans but you need to use threaded bolts in stead of screwdrivers. (apparently the holes are already thread.)

http://legacygt.com/forums/search.php?searchid=9557988

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Subaru%20conversion/valance019.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok all, so I gave it a shot and putting a flat head screw driver in the hole does hold the crank pulley from turning. I was able to torque the bolt down to 90 ft lbs without a problem. I didn't even have to remove the radiator, although would have been a lot easier to remove and install without it in place.

So, success in an hour to do the pulley upgrade.

cool thanks. I will do that. 125 ft lbs it will be. I actually did it to 130ft lbs as that is what it says in the FSM, but after I tightened it up, I thought, this is aluminum. Will that much torque damage the pulley?

• I Donated
cool thanks. I will do that. 125 ft lbs it will be. I actually did it to 130ft lbs as that is what it says in the FSM, but after I tightened it up, I thought, this is aluminum. Will that much torque damage the pulley?

that pulley is tougher then you think it is

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Does it feel like the engine revs faster?

Feels peepier on the low end, since I installed the header a couple of weeks ago. The header seemed like it helped on the hi end, but this pulley helps on the low end. I am going to install a LWFW in a few weeks that will probably make a difference also.

that pulley is tougher then you think it is

You're right, probably tougher than the stock one anyway. I didn't know there was rubber on the stock one.

130 ft-lbs is perfect.

IIRC the torque on that bolt increased every year for a while. The last thing you want is pulley wobble that'll destroy the crank.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

90 ft lbs is not enough. it need to be over 125. i use 140 ft lbs.

90 ft lbs is a mis-print and will cause the bolt to loosen and the timing to jump.

125+ ft lbs. please, please, please.

Crap, I tightened mine to 95 ft lbs :eek: when I did the timing belt a couple of weeks ago. The torque wrench is up at my Dad's place. Guess I better get my butt back up there soon and tighten that bolt. Any educated guesses when my pulley will loosen and fly off? :lol:

Is there any way to tighten the bolt without using a chain wrench (which is what I did) to hold the pulley, wrapped in rags of course? Can I do it fairly easily w/o taking the radiator out again? Just curious.

Wouldn't mind seeing the old man again though. He's a good guy.

I am also curious as to the method any of you experts like to put the timing belt on. Where do you start/finish, and what idler pulleys do you put on last, etc to install. I started by aligning the belt on the crankshaft, the right camshaft pulley and went around, and then installed the no. 2 belt idler last.

I am asking because if I am back in there I want to check the alignment of my belt and pulleys and don't want it to be a PITA to put it back on in case anything is out of alignment. Although the leggy is running great, I am still somewhat uncomfortable with the change in the way the engine sounds, I feel like I can hear the timing belt (higher pitched sound), it was a bit thicker than the one I took off. I have mentioned this before, but I am a freak and don't mind mentioning it again. Especially after brok replied that sometimes a higher pitched sound related to the timing belt resulted in tensioner failure a few weeks later! :lol: But it isn't any kind of sound that classic rock doesn't cover up!

• I Donated
No this trick doesn't work on the 5MTs (at least that I've noticed). I stick a big screw driver or pry par into the flywheel teeth if I have to.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

did you read the first part of the thread???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/

there are pics.

do flywheels have holes in the perimeter like the flex plate??

anyone have one on the work bench they could snap a pic?

i have never seen one.

Sorry, I can be a bonehead and was confused if it the method would work on a 5MT. :redface: I'll just use a chain wrench again since I don't have any threaded bolts, and don't know what type of bolt would work anyway.

Will that much torque damage the pulley?

cast aluminum, yes.

specific aluminum alloys, no. I assume it is "aircraft grade" or w/e, this should not be an issue. If it were made of the same grade cast aluminum as, say the block, then this would be way too much torque and crumble

Here is where I put the screwdriver and I have a 5MT. I had seen my friend who is Subaru Tech at a Dealer in NM do this on our 2000 L wagon. The L Wagon was 4EAT.

Anyway, I gave this a shot. It did not go in too far, but I guess far enough and I was able to crank down to 130ftlb on that crank.

http://carphotos4.cardomain.com/images/0015/92/74/15372947_large.jpg

• 1 year later...
Crap, I tightened mine to 95 ft lbs :eek: when I did the timing belt a couple of weeks ago. The torque wrench is up at my Dad's place. Guess I better get my butt back up there soon and tighten that bolt. Any educated guesses when my pulley will loosen and fly off? :lol:

Is there any way to tighten the bolt without using a chain wrench (which is what I did) to hold the pulley, wrapped in rags of course? Can I do it fairly easily w/o taking the radiator out again? Just curious.

Wouldn't mind seeing the old man again though. He's a good guy.

I am also curious as to the method any of you experts like to put the timing belt on. Where do you start/finish, and what idler pulleys do you put on last, etc to install. I started by aligning the belt on the crankshaft, the right camshaft pulley and went around, and then installed the no. 2 belt idler last.

I am asking because if I am back in there I want to check the alignment of my belt and pulleys and don't want it to be a PITA to put it back on in case anything is out of alignment. Although the leggy is running great, I am still somewhat uncomfortable with the change in the way the engine sounds, I feel like I can hear the timing belt (higher pitched sound), it was a bit thicker than the one I took off. I have mentioned this before, but I am a freak and don't mind mentioning it again. Especially after brok replied that sometimes a higher pitched sound related to the timing belt resulted in tensioner failure a few weeks later! :lol: But it isn't any kind of sound that classic rock doesn't cover up!

Follow the instructions in the kit.

Archived