LegacyGT.com

2005 Outback Sedan w/ 3.0

Check the owners manual for the car, it should tell you what you could run when it comes to octane level.

And most modern cars can handle a lower octane rating since they are equipped with knock sensors. You may not get the best power, but the risk of damage is low.

Anyway - the price difference between regular and premium depends on where you live, it can be worse than $2 per fill.

453747.png

wow you actually found a outback sedan. I have only see 1 outback sedan in person since they came out in 2005.

You mean you've only seen 1 05+ outback sedan? They've been out a LOT longer than 05.

The EZ30D/R requires premium to run properly. Only the 3.6R allows regular fuel.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The Outback sedan with the 3.0 is a nice ride. Yes, you need to put super unleaded in it.

If you drive 15,000 miles per year and average 22 MPG, the additional 20 cents per gallon will cost you $136 per year. If you can't afford $136 per year maybe you should be shopping for a bicycle.

The Outback sedan with the 3.0 is a nice ride. Yes, you need to put super unleaded in it.//
No, you do not.

I have a chance to buy a 2005 Outback Sedan. The big hang up for me is the Premium fuel. Does the 3.0 really need it or is it just recommonded?
Recommended only. We've run regular in our 2006 3.0R for 90,000 miles. I only use Premium when I tow or Autox.

The 3.0 is a great engine - turbine smooth, great power. Since most Legacys are 2.5's or have hood scoops, it's a real sleeper. For these engines to go 175-200,000 miles is routine.

The 5EAT is OK, not on par with the rest of the car.

Official pronouncement from SOA saying this is OK.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We hope that you have been enjoying your 2006 Outback 3.0R Wagon.

The 3.0-liter H6 engine is designed to operate using unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 AKI or higher. Regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI or higher may be used. This is not just for emergency situations. You can use regular unleaded fuel in your vehicle on a regular basis. However, for optimum engine performance and driveability, it is recommended that you use 91 AKI or higher grade unleaded gasoline.

You may experience reduced output, poor accelerator response, and reduced fuel economy when using gasoline with an octane rating lower than 91 AKI, depending on your driving habits and conditions.

If you experience any of those conditions while using a lower octane rated fuel, you may want to return to using 91 AKI octane rated fuel as soon as possible. Additionally, if your vehicle knocks heavily or persistently, or if you are driving with heavy loads such as when towing a trailer, the use of 91 AKI or higher grade unleaded gasoline is required.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Best wishes,

John J. Mergen

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I am afraid that the dealer doesn't want to sell the car very bad.

The price keeps changing. They claim that the people that enter it on the web site put the wrong prices on the cars. When you get to the lot the price is different. Sometines even changing when yu are there. Once after I said that I would take a car. I guess I should have stayed away from them.

• 3 years later...

I have to sell my baby as I do love it, but circumstances have changed and I have not drive her more than a few hundred miles in the last year or more. Color pearl, spoiler, tinted windows and less than 100 miles on Goodyear tires. Has some minor door dents (why do junkers park next to me in the most remote site) passenger mirror has crack, but other that than it is in excellent condition and only authorized mechanics have worked on it. I am in the far northern california area and this is my first serious attempt to sell. I would not sell except that it needs and wants to be driven, letting it sit is the worst thing I can do. As you are all Subie lovers you know how special this car is and hopefully someone out there will give her a new home. Asking the very good blue book value of $13k, registration is due in May and I want sell before the due date.

Interested send email to ckbedfore@gmail.com

If you like the sedan go for it. The h6 is an excellent DD engine, and the 2005+ have dual ohc. The trans can have a shift kit put in which will bring it up to snuff for you, climbers is your man. The engine was designed for premium though but honestly your talking a couple bucks which your saving by going mid 2000s anyways. Good luck to you

I live in northern california near Mt Shasta and shasta lake. It really is a great ride. I also have a second pair of snow tires on nice rims and a car cover. Call me crazy I covered the car in the garage. It really is a great car and even on steep mountains it has power to spare. In fact you will be cruising along and then check the speed and it is 80. If interested I will give you my contact info. No high speed internet available here and drops all of the time please be patient. Trying to get photos posted right now

Archived