LegacyGT.com

Who makes the OEM O2 sensor?

• 4 weeks later...

Replaced it last night. Only had a 22mm flare nut wrench from harbor freight, wouldn't come out with PB blaster, or after warming the car up. But after I heated the sensor with a torch, it came right out. When I do it again, I'll use the SAE version of the wrench, the 22mm was definitely not a perfect it and started to strip the sensor a little.

Also, the sensor I pulled was a Bosch :confused: Maybe it was replaced before, but I have all the services records dating back to 2000, and it's not in there.

• 5 months later...

What special socket should I use to replace the O2 sensor ?

There are some with a cut away for the wire, anybody use these ?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-12100-Oxygen-Sensor-Socket/dp/B0009OMYA6/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_cp_1]Lisle 12100 Oxygen Sensor Socket : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Or will a 7/8 " socket or other size wrench work ?

7/8 will work. But if OP is going to work on Subaru's constantly, he needs to get metric. In this case 22mm. (corrected. thx Jamal, guess I can't convert in to mm, and my memory is toast)

If you can, use a vise grip or similar to hold the bung.

I ripped one right off the weld and had a hard time getting it rewelded.

O.

When I do it again, I'll use the SAE version of the wrench, the 22mm was definitely not a perfect it and started to strip the sensor a little.
Or will a 7/8 " socket or other size wrench work ?
7/8 will work, but it is slightly larger than a 22mm. i think it comes in at 22.2mm. so if a 22 open end wrench is rounding off the sensor a 7/8 is not going to be better.

but why the issue over the ''right'' wrench. i use a 7/8 box end wrench without problem. i would prefer a 6 sided wrench, but the 12 point box end works just fine.

first disconnect the connecting wire ,

second, feed the connector / wire through the box end wrench.

third remove the sensor.

when removing the old one you can simplify the process by just cutting the wire to the sensor. once you do this you are committed to replacing it, so beware. and when installing the new one a ratcheting wrench would make it easier, but my set only goes to 19 and how often you have to do this job. a box end works just fine.

I ended up using this, and a lot of PB blaster.

I had to remove the O2 sensor with car cold, as it wont start.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00390BS7C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00]Powerbuilt 648691 Oxygen Sensor Offset Puller : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

I think lower profile, less height works better, as there is not much room in there, to get the socket.

So if it is a tall or deep socket it will be harder.

This tool worked ok, but you still have to remove and insert your socket a few times.

It says it both 7/8 and 22 mm, though not sure how it can be accurately both ...

Possible a 22mm crows foot wrench would work too.

It was in there very tight, so I let PB blaster soak for a few hours before trying.

Also had to lower the exhaust to get space, and use a small cheater bar on the socket.

Needed to be very careful not to damage the exhaust.

Also there is small wire clip on the car frame, holding the O2 sensor wire in, which you will need to unbend to remove the sensor and it's wire.

My OEM sensor was a BOSCH, which I replaced with a BOSCH universal fit.

It appears to be working fine. However it was a bit of a pain to splice in the old connector.

I ended up soldering it, and not using the compression fittings that came with it.

It took me longer to install because I had to solder the wires for the old connector.

However, it was only about $40.00 which is a lot cheaper than the OEM, and since its the exact same manufacturer, I wasnt concerned about using it.

• 1 month later...
Just did this today. Got both sensors from Street Wise Auto for around $105 shipped (they have a 5% off code, google it). Rented the tool from Kragen/O'Reillys. Took 1-2 hours. Now, it would take closer to 1 hour. Was just making sure everything worked this time. So far, so good..

Archived