LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Install

xero287

So, my Invidia DP is currently connected with one spring bolt to the stock midpipe, can't seem to get the other one in. I have the 3-2.5" adapter with the donut in and I thought it was necessary to have the spring bolts for the donut. My question is: Can I just use the bolt and nut from the spring bolt w/o the spring, and if not where can I buy a longer spring bolt. I tried searching, but it seems like most manufacturers either don't sell them alone or are discontinued.

TIA

Put the spring in a vise and put 2 zip-ties through the coils. As you compress the spring, snug the zip-ties down. This should get you enough slack to get the nut started. Once you get the nut started a couple turns, cut the zip-ties and pull them out.

This method worked great for me the other day.

Put the spring in a vise and put 2 zip-ties through the coils. As you compress the spring, snug the zip-ties down. This should get you enough slack to get the nut started. Once you get the nut started a couple turns, cut the zip-ties and pull them out.

This method worked great for me the other day.

that's some awesome info right there!

The spring bolt is meant to replaced with a standard bolt when you use that adapter. Snug it all down good and tight, but don't destroy the donut gasket in the process.

I like the zip-tie thing. I gonna try that.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Hmmm, so...if I eventually get a 3 inch midpipe that'll just be a direct install with no donut or adapter correct? And I'd just use bolts instead of the spring bolts right?

Hmmm, so...if I eventually get a 3 inch midpipe that'll just be a direct install with no donut or adapter correct? And I'd just use bolts instead of the spring bolts right?

Your aftermarket downpipe replaces the factory down and mid pipe. Unless you bought a 2-piece aftermarket downpipe, there are a few out there. You would need to get a matching catback. Just use regular bolts with a flat gasket.

So, spring bolts arent necessary at all then right? can I just use the same bolts without the spring?

You'll probably run out of threads before it became tight if you use the spring bolts without the springs.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Hmm, thanks for the very helpful info. I'll just go to home depot and pick up some bolts tomorrow. I can cancel my appt with subaru to put in the spring bolt then lol. I got one in but the other one refuses.

Archived