LegacyGT.com

Exhaust gasket fit problem

Reassembling the exhaust system on my '05 LGT, and the flanges connecting the rear pipe to the mufflers have bowed out to the point that, after tightening the bolts, I can see straight through. How do I deal with this? Double up on the gaskets, or what? Thanks!

You can go to your nearest Subaru parts and pick them up...they usually have them stocked...should be the standard 2 bolt exhaust flange...another would be to buy a sheet of gasket material from your local O'Reilley's, Checker's, Napa...trace out your current gasket and cut it out...or use some Orange RTV gasket maker, put a nice bead around the flange.

Since your attachment point is so far from the main heat source, it should not be a problem at all for the last two suggestions...oem gaskets are easily gotten though and will last you a long time...you can go on ebay and pick them up as well...

hmmm...bowed flanges, sorry, I thought your gaskets were bad...those flanges are pretty thin...you can try to straighten them out, doubling up the gaskets would help as you suggested...The Gasket Maker RTV or the Copper would seal up the gaps as well. I would take the pipe off and attempt to straighten it out as best as you can...but, due to the original fitment...may end up bending them again (why its bent in the first place)...this time weakening the metal...it may end up breaking...

You can try tightening everything up in a different order...axlebacks first, then the midpipe to downpipe connection or vice versa...exhaust fitment sometimes can be a pain...I know, I installed a borla hush system with slip fittings on my forester recently...and ended up loosening and re-tightening several times before everything lined up good.

Sorry for the confusion.

Archived