LegacyGT.com

Reliability Modifications

• Moderators

A lot of folks here seem to be asking the same questions, but in the wrong way. Questions seem to include bashing of the '05 model year, bashing of stock turbos, oil lines, blah blah blah, but all are asking what to do to increase reliability of the LGT drivetrain+.

I'm interested in putting together a list of "reliability modifications" for LGTs. I'll start off, please chime in and I'll change the original post to reflect input.

1. Remove cat from up pipe, if necessary (05/06 model years included cat in up pipe)
    • Any up pipe that fits an 02-11 STI will fit your 05-09 LGT (though not all of these pipes will necessarily be catless)

[*]Install upgraded oil lines (Infamous products recommended by many)

[*]KillerB oil pickup to prevent starvation

[*]Check/top off engine oil on every fill up. (yes, this is a 'mod'. if you don't do this you won't get much sympathy when your turbo dies due to oil starvation. these engines eat oil, get used to it)

• Do an oil analysis (i.e. Blackstone) once you settle on an oil/filter combination that works for you. Should confirm that you OCI is adequate.

[*]For those with automatic transmissions, drain/refill transmission fluid every 5-7k miles...Alternatively, complete a full 5EAT DIY flush once every 30k miles--this may be easier since it's only once every couple of years for most people (DIY Flush info here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...sh-197248.html.)

[*]Let your engine/oil/other fluids warm up before you race a civic. for rationale please see notes from #4. it's a mod, don't be a 'tard.

[*]Drain/refill differentials every 30k miles. For 5EATs this will include both the front and the rear differentials. For 5MTs this only applies to the rear differential (front differential shares fluid with the transmission).

[*]Replace timing belt, tensioners, water pump at or before 105k miles.

[*]Flush brake fluid every two years (at a minimum)

[*]Stop driving your car.

Other potential "trouble spots" that are not "reliability related":

1. Disconnect DRLs to prevent shortened headlight lifespan
  2. Inspect fuel lines for deterioration.
  3. CV boot under downpipe, recommended to check regularly (i.e. during oil changes) for wear.
  4. OEM LCA bushings known to tear; many aftermarket replacements available.
  5. Replace swaybar endlinks with aftermarket parts to reduce "clunks" in the front end.
  6. A new tune (pro, e-tune, AP) can help to prevent burned valves
  7. Install guages for oil pressure/temp and boost to track any significant changes and diagnose problems as they arise.
  8. Check wheel bearings prior to 100k miles / 8 yrs. Subaru will replace noisy bearings through these service intervals under warranty.

let the fun begin.

Updated: 1/24/12

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Want your turbo to last as long as your motor. In short, check you oil level often & top as needed. Use whatever oil & filter that will protect for the OCI's your running. OA's is the only way you know that your oil & filter is up for the challenge. After that IMO no OA's are needed.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Want your turbo to last as long as your motor. In short, check you oil level often & top as needed. Use whatever oil & filter that will protect for the OCI's your running. OA's is the only way you know that your oil & filter is up for the challenge. After that IMO no OA's are needed.

Mike

This is good advice, coming from someone who has the pudding to show for it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

A lot of folks here seem to be asking the same questions, but in the wrong way. Questions seem to include bashing of the '05 model year, bashing of stock turbos, oil lines, blah blah blah, but all are asking what to do to increase reliability of the LGT drivetrain+.

I'm interested in putting together a list of "reliability modifications" for LGTs. I'll start off, please chime in and I'll change the original post to reflect input.

1. Remove cat from up pipe, if necessary (05/06 model years included cat in up pipe)
    • Any up pipe that fits an 02-11 WRX/STI will fit you 05-09 LGT

[*]Install upgraded oil lines (Infamous products recommended by many)

[*]KillerB oil pickup to prevent starvation

[*]Check/top off oil on every fill up. (yes, this is a 'mod'. if you don't do this you won't get much sympathy when your turbo dies due to oil starvation. these engines eat oil, get used to it)

[*]For those with automatic transmissions, drain/refill transmission fluid every 15k miles...seriously, it costs $4 for the proper bit and $30 for the fluid every 15k miles, not that big a deal. do it.

[*]Let your engine/oil/other fluids warm up before you race a civic. for rationale please see notes from #4. it's a mod, don't be a 'tard.

[*]...

let the fun begin.

I lol'd at this.

This is good advice, coming from someone who has the pudding to show for it.

Agreed, a UOA is a very good "check-up" for your car. It's amazing what those guys can tell about the health of your car from a simple piss-jar-sized sample of old oil

Agreed, a UOA is a very good "check-up" for your car. It's amazing what those guys can tell about the health of your car from a simple piss-jar-sized sample of old oil

Maybe they just make up shit...how would you know otherwise?

It is still ugly.

• Moderators
Fuel line inspection. They appear to crack

Don't know that I'd call that a reliability issue. Obviously it's a problem if it happens, but I wouldn't recommend everyone to run out and replace their fuel lines "just in case". If others chime in I'll add it to the top.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Inspect CV boot under downpipe every oil change. It tends to be the first to go since is so close to the heat.

Boost check the car yearly to check for intake leaks that can cause a lean condition.

Front and rear dif oil changes every 30,000 miles (these are often overlooked)

Get rid of OEM brake pads as they tend to deposit on the rotors causing a warped rotor sensation.

Replace LCA bushings with aftermarket Whiteline or AVO with offset caster bushings. Reduces swaying on the highway from high side winds and helps with cornering ability. OEM ones tear very easily.

Replace swaybar endlinks with solid or Rallitek oem style to eliminate clunks in the front end when going over bumps.

Boost check the car yearly to check for intake leaks that can cause a lean condition.

If its before the turbo it could cause a lean condition, but after the turbo you are losing boost and the engine thinks its getting more air than it actually is. That causes a rich condition. Think like having a BOV that constantly vents to atmosphere.

If its before the turbo it could cause a lean condition, but after the turbo you are losing boost and the engine thinks its getting more air than it actually is. That causes a rich condition. Think like having a BOV that constantly vents to atmosphere.

Correct! I was thinking more along the lines of the turbo inlet failing. The thin rubber they use on it can crack/tear easily. A rich condition generally won't hurt the engine and you will generally notice in in MPG or performance, but a lean condition can cause very bad things to happen with very little warning.

An annual overall system leak check won't hurt either way though!

I would put gauges on here. I still can't believe that they sell turbo cars without boost gauges. Oil pressure, oil temp, A/F are all good as well if you have the space for them. These don't make your car 'more reliable' but can help you keep an eye on your car's operations and spot problem earlier/help diagnose problems down the line.

Archived