LegacyGT.com

3M Clear Bra Removal - Sisyphus comes to mind.

rhumb line

There's a special place in hell where people are removing clear bras from their Subarus. The one on my car has been baking for more than 7 years. It is cracked and looks like crap but it adheres to the hood remarkably well. The pieces come off about the size of your pinky fingernail.

Here are some of the methods I've used-- none of these methods has worked particularly well.

1. Steam-- I've used a commercial wallpaper steamer-- the result was marginal.

2. Adjustable heat gun and plastic putty knife- worked OK, but left a lot of residue that still needed much work.

3. Adjustable heat gun with single edge razor blade-- good for removing on flat areas, very risky to paint.

4. Goo Gone or Goof Off. Goof Off worked better. Helped remove residue after heat treatment.

5. WD40-- this worked reasonably well as it was applied to the hood and covered with a garbage bag for a few days. Still not what I would call success.

Anyone have other suggestions? Anyone used ammonia like for removing window tint?

All said and done, I would not put this on again, nor would it stay on so long (it came to me like that). I think it would be much easier to simply repaint when the time came.:eek:

I deal with a similar situation sometimes at my job. There is a film that gets almost permanently bonded to the bodies. I tried several things until I settled on using a high-heat high-pressure washer that we use for cleaning large metal parts. Even with high power equipment it takes hours to blast off all the film if it's been baking in the sun. unfortunately this could be an 8+ hour job for you.

I used the heat gun / plastic scraper method. It was awful, took many hours and was hell on the hands. I will never have one of these on a car ever again. Looked Ok for a year or two then it turned yellow and cracked, total crap.

I'll never put one of these on any car again. It is simpler to repaint, especially if you can do it yourself.

I've actually had the best luck with WD40 and a lot of patience. For the bumper, it is a good excuse to simply buy the JDM replacement. There's no way I'm going to scrape that thing.

3M-- I did not have a problem with it until I tried to take it off. This sonofabeach is on there. I haven't even started on the front bumper yet. This could take a long, long time.

I'm considering grinding the whole thing down and painting it with charcoal Line-X

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=lUQqEoxA4rXQoM&tbnid=f6z7X3mLcguOcM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drbeasleys.com%2Fblog%2F2011%2F09%2F15%2Fthe-matte-paint-craze%2F&ei=UHtFU6eaBqmvsATHwoGADw&bvm=bv.64507335,d.ZGU&psig=AFQjCNFuHdQLef7Y7y2uoSS2XCRdHsNvoQ&ust=1397148786927762

Archived