LegacyGT.com

Need a new shorblock -EJ255 or EJ257

For starters, I have some severe rod knock on my 09lgt to the point it wont even stay running. Was going to work, came off the highway, slowed down to turn down a side road and it died. Checked the oil (which I do every 1000miles or so) and it was just under the low dot, damnit. I did explore the cost of a rebuild, but I'm at 145k on my bottom end. I just had the motor out about 5k miles ago to rebuild both heads (burned valve) and rebuilt the turbo. With the top end new and the amount of stuff I'd be replacing on the bottom, I think I'm looking at a short block. I briefly called around to a few local dealerships yesterday to get quotes on an EJ255 and EJ257 and they were around 2100-2300 picked up. I also found a couple Subaru dealerships online that could do $1800 shipped for either an EJ257 or EJ255 (not positive if the 10103AC050 EJ257 was correct for my car).

Also, quick question, when I'm searching by my vin a few part numbers come up for the EJ255 replacement, one has an "R-DOT" denotation with the part number 10103AC040. Any idea what the "R-DOT" is? The other part number was 10103AC0409Z.

Also a side note, I'm not interested in an upgraded build at all, no forged internals or anything. With it being a higher milage auto, I'd rather play it safe. I'm at a basic stage 2 and rebuilt factory turbo by jmp with a billet wheel. No need for anything crazy.

So, I went back to reading and researching a bit to make sure I get the right shortblock and I really just got more confused, information overload (particularly this thread). I did also check out maxcapacitys thread on his new shortblock where he used an EJ257, however his was on an 05 LGT. So I wasn't sure if the same shortblock applies to my 09.

As I understand it, the 07-09s are different than the 05-06 cars. The 05-06 shares a shortblock with the 04-06 sti, and the 07-09 shares with the 06-09 wrx.

So I guess I'm trying to determine the correct part numbers for the replacement EJ255 for my car and a suitable EJ257. Also, from some brief reading, I found the pistons are possibly a higher compression on the EJ257. Is this correct? Would it be safe to use with my stock heads in current stage 2 COBB OTS fashion, or would I need a tune for an increased compression?

Thanks for an help you guys could provide.

The short blocks on the 4th Gens are all the same, the fuel injector system and OCV oil lines are different on 07-09.

You would be fine with your current tune. the C/R is so small it won't make a difference.

Did you get a hold of the guys in the PM I sent you ?

I seem to recall reading in the past couple years, there's no difference in a current ej255 and ej257.

I do suggest that after break in you have Mike Kinsman of http://www.tuningalliance.com do a street tune.

http://estore.subarupartswarehouse.com/a/Subaru_2009_Legacy25L-TURBO-5AT-4WDGT-Limited-Sedan/_54102_6024165/ENGINE-GASKET--SEAL-KIT-SHORT-BLOCK-ENGINE-ASSEMBLY/B13-002-01.html

Here's a link from another, https://parts.subaruonlineparts.com/subaru/legacy/10103ac880/2009-year/gt-limited-trim/2-5l-h4-gas-engine/engine-cat/engine-scat/?part_name=short-block

You could contact Benny at that site from this thread, see post 162.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oem-online-subaru-parts-vendors-list-42243p5.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I still have my brand new ej257 sb avail

Was listed here just havent bumped it in awhile

I was planning on dropping in manley pistons and installing it in my 05

But a recent pet surgery has me thinking of selling it again

Lmk if your interested

I remember reading a thread recently that stated that 09 uses an EJ255. The piston dish is different between the two. Thus, different compression ratio. Since you have a 257 now, I would get a tune after the rebuild. Looking forward to seeing her run again!

Edit: Max suggested you don't need a tune, so you should be fine without one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks, with some more reading, it seems the factory replacement 255 is an 8.2:1 C.R. where the 257 only bumps it up to 8.5:1 with my stock heads.

Think I'll very gently break it in for a few thousand miles on a 257, then go EBCS and fuel pump and get a tune. Maybe sometime later add a VF-52 if I can find a good price on one. Kills me because when I was rebuilding the heads I didn't want to wait to find a good deal on a VF-52 and decided to just rebuild the VF-46. But then again, my poor auto tranny probably thanks me.

Anyways, motor is out and on a stand. Hoping to dig a little deeper into it tonight.

When Mike (TA) did a street tune on my ej257 with the ported heads at 500 miles, he mentioned there was very little difference. He made a couple small adjustments.

Well I think I found the trouble

ca33ea1e2a2fbbc53fb89e28280a44cc.jpg

91e0809dbaaec893c90afd2892ea102c.jpg

9d831a87678c3563b22718e31baafd25.jpg

88b3bcd9cb650e40ecdda422f9392dac.jpg

An awful lot of bearing in the oil pan. And those pistons were squeaky clean 3000 miles ago. Wonder if I had a bunch of blowby develop. Lots of carbon on all 4 pistons again. Rod bearings for cylinders 1 and 2 are toast. Good news is everything else, heads, cams and cam journals, and turbo look good. Time for parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Finally starting to putting everything back together. I ordered an EJ255 (I know, I should have gone EJ257 for the same price but nowhere I talked to would warranty the 257 because it doesn't match my vin. And with my recent stretch of luck, I'd rather the peace of mind with the factory warranty on the 255).

I noticed something odd compared to my old factory short block, with the 255 that came in, the crank looked different. Had a black coating on it (making it kind of a pain to get the crank pulley on). Are the new 255's coming with a different crank than the old short blocks? I should have taken a picture, but in the rush to get things back together it slipped my mind.

Archived