LegacyGT.com

Want a good sounding exhaust

I got all new exhaust on my Legacy not long ago cause most of it was rusted out except for the stock muffler. I now have a borla UEL header, magnaflow cats, stock replacement midpipe, and the stock axle back.

The donut that went on the back of the rear cat would not fit the midpipe for some reason. I went and got an exhaust donut from the dealer and it fit the midpipe but was too large for the magnaflow direct fit converter. I finally called magnaflow today and they said send them some pictures so maybe I can get that done this weekend.

I just want a midpipe made with a bit larger diamater pipe and a better sounding muffler. Any recommendations for a muffler? I can get the midpipe made local.

Right now my exhaust sounds like ass cause the converter not being made right is causing an exhaust leak. I also asked a similar question on the local forums but with no luck.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The link you posted is an oval tip lol

in short it will be raspy. You can pick up 18" res for not much, worth every penny

Both links I posted are round tips.The 1046 is a oval muffler with a round tip. I wouldnt think a subaru with a uel header and both cats would be raspy without a res. I thought there was one on youtube without a res.

Maybe the picture just makes it look that way. If you keep the cats then it wont be too bad, but then you keep the restriction you had with the stock system. I guess if you don't care about the 0.0000001 HP increase it doesn't matter

Maybe the picture just makes it look that way. If you keep the cats then it wont be too bad, but then you keep the restriction you had with the stock system. I guess if you don't care about the 0.0000001 HP increase it doesn't matter

I dont care about the HP much right now in this car. The cats are magnaflows so im not ditching them.

• 6 months later...

im late to this thread.. oh well:

vibrant #1046 muffler (oval tip because watermelon shooters aint my style)

2.5" mandrel bent exhaust piping

JDM EJ25DE - pretty irrelevant to the video really...

Vibrant 18" Resonator

Borla-Replica 2.5 Headers - heatwrapped

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOTYTo8nKaE&list=UUNkOOU905DDF15NU81M0fEQ]Subaru Legacy Vibrant Performance Exhaust Clip - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WHAruAI3PA&list=UUNkOOU905DDF15NU81M0fEQ]Subaru Legacy Full 2.5" Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

• 5 weeks later...

My stock muffler will need replacing soon. I have a 2 year old and another on the way so I don't want something to extremely loud. Looking at a 2.25" Magnaflow muffler. Already replaced the pipe from the cats to the muffler, it was rusted out, didn't have a resonator on it in the first place. Anyone try these on a 2.5?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnaflow-14832-Performance-Muffler-w-Tip-5x8x14-Oval-2-25-Inlet-/300729948895?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4604e6dadf&vxp=mtr

you should be good there, as far as the extra .3L of displacement

from my experience - at least with the vibrant stuff- there wasn't a sound difference at all when i went from a 2.2 to 2.5 motor

not sure of the magnaflow but i'd guess it'd be the same way

headers upgrade will arguably be the most effective rumble-producing component of the exhaust

do you know where the exhaust leak is coming from? may be a good excuse to drop the $150 on new headers??

The leak was coming from between the cats and the muffler. That whole section was pieced together with about 8 different exhaust clamps so they welded on a whole new pipe. Headers may be on my list later on. I want to get it running right and I have a lot of body work to do. Picked it up for $1350 with a good sticker, but it needs a door, both fenders, the hood and both rear quarters gotta be patched up.

Archived