LegacyGT.com

any info on swapping transmission?

I have an 07 2.5 SOHC ej253 and was wondering if it's possible to swap the auto transmission to a manual transmission. And what would I need to do so ? Any info is much appreciated! thanks!

This might be hard for you to understand, but, putting money into an NA car isn't a good idea. If you want to hang with the bigboys and the cool kids and have a cool Subaru to mod and do stuff with, you gotta pay to play, which means you need to trade that car in and get a turbo.

Honestly, they're not that much more upfront, and if you've got a decent trade-in/down, you can get into one for 150-250/mo. That leaves PLENTY of room for mods like 6sp swaps ($5k+) or bigger turbos ($2k+) or full -on rebuilds ($^nth, it's not IF, it's WHEN!).

Furthermore, the 6spds aren't meant for NA cars, and there's TONS of wiring and hassle involved that make it just not worth it.

Put your time and energy elsewhere -- like finding a GOOD LGT to get your hands on.

I'm fairly new here aswell and I'm not trying to be hostile, but you guys don't seem to be very big on the modding of na cars. I paid around 4 after everything or my 05 2.5 wagon. I don't want an LGT. It sounds like they are problematic.

I'd rather swap in a 2.0 or some other turbo suby motor that's got more development from the aftermarket and experts in the field. If I'm going to build a powerful suby, I'd likely have to do the motor anyway so that's a moot point. And tranny gains are obvious. Not all of us can afford to build a vehicle and have it down for long periods of time.

Maybe I just come from a more DIY encouraging community (volvos...really though.)

Anything is possible with time and money. If love to do a six speed swap into my no frills wagon. I might someday. And while I understand it's "easier to buy an LGT" for perform ac gains it defeats the purpose of a technical community.

End rant. Also thanks for having me.

I'm fairly new here aswell and I'm not trying to be hostile, but you guys don't seem to be very big on the modding of na cars. I paid around 4 after everything or my 05 2.5 wagon. I don't want an LGT. It sounds like they are problematic.

I'd rather swap in a 2.0 or some other turbo suby motor that's got more development from the aftermarket and experts in the field. If I'm going to build a powerful suby, I'd likely have to do the motor anyway so that's a moot point. And tranny gains are obvious. Not all of us can afford to build a vehicle and have it down for long periods of time.

Maybe I just come from a more DIY encouraging community (volvos...really though.)

Anything is possible with time and money. If love to do a six speed swap into my no frills wagon. I might someday. And while I understand it's "easier to buy an LGT" for perform ac gains it defeats the purpose of a technical community.

They are problematic if you dont take care of them which most people dont... and if you dont do your research they can be even more problematic... you can listen to the advise given.. (which is proper advice) or you can go your own route and learn the hard way... its really up to you. I would bet your car would be down alot longer trying to do things your way as opposed to listening to people who have been through it before... but hey who am I to talk as my LGT has been great to me since I take care of it...

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

It's not a "hate" thing, it's more a cost thing. It's not cheap to swap over and if you try to sell the car later it's even more fun trying to sell it at value you placed on it from the money you pilfered away swapping the trannys. Plus the feel of the LGT over the N/A is like no other. I driven both and couldn't even get a n/a for a dd. Even my Cruze is F/I over the N/A. Chevy placed the same HP numbers on both engines but they are night and day before I tuned it.

/thread jack

For pretty much any car, and any mod, your HP:$$ ratio is gonna suck. However, it sucks less when you do it to a turbo car. For NA cars, there's not much more you can do for power. (without going FI, like turbo or Supercharged) That said, you can have plenty of fun running a tight suspension setup. Your $$:fun ratio there is money well-spent, and while it doesn't actually make the car any faster, it makes it feel faster, which, really, is all most people are looking for. If you want a car that will beat just about any other on the street, you're in the wrong marque; you want something fun, sporty, with lots of upgrade potential, then you get a Subaru, specifically, an LGT/STi.

Archived