LegacyGT.com

No oil going to turbo?

Hey guys recently my friend bought a 05 lgt with a blown turbo. We bought it without the turbo installed. Now recently got a good condition vf40 and a sti uppipe. Put on the uppipe and figured why not install the oil line. Changed the oil and filter before even touching the starter to avoid any issues of debree getting into the motor.

I put the end of the oil line into a water bottle and cranked the engine with the injectors unplugged. Guess what even after a SOLID 10 seconds of cranking several times even with 2 injectors hooked up allowing it to fire up (less than a second out of curiousity keep in mind engine sounds pretty solid) still absolutely no oil not even a drop. Try loosening up the banjo bolt there is no oil what so ever! YES IT HAS OIL!

So possible issues alot of air in the oil lines (I doubt it need more than a few seconds of cranking...) or cracked pickup ? I am not even going to consider a oil pump failure.

What do you guys thing I should do?

Forgot to add I did remove the filter from the banjo bolt and put the banjo bolt back in . I found no debree in the filter really just gummy oil.

It can take what seems like a life time to get oil to pump at cranking speed.

Even if you only fired it up for a second that might not be enough.

At cranking speed, it can take 30+ seconds to get oil pressure.

It seemed like a life time when we start a race engine, by cranking it over till we get oil pressure, it takes a long time, relatively speaking.

When I started my new ej257 the first time I just started it up like I do every day.

I'd crank it for 30-45 seconds.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

@Max What do you recommend for priming with respect to continuously cranking the starter - bursts of 5-6 seconds or holding it on crank for that entire duration?

@OP, the worst case could be internal blockage in the lines. How gummy was the oil? Have you pulled the oil pan to check for metal particles? What did the failed turbo look like (broken wheel, curled blades, etc.)?

Continuiusly cranking is best, Also you should remove the spark plugs if it's a brand new engine. That way there is no compression to load the rod bearings.

Like I said for the new short block in the wagon I just fired the engine up like I start it every morning. It started like it does every morning, let the fuel pump prime, 2-3 cranks and it fired. Oil pressure light went out like normal. Honestly, I was surprised.

Also those are good questions for the OP.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Let it run for probably 5 seconds and oil came out right away. Than after shutting it off with the fuel pump fuse out it would pump out cranking no problem. Flushed out a good 1/4 qt of oil . Dropped in the turbo, hooked everything filled the coolant and let it run for a bit with the IC off and maf unplugged idled perfect and engine sounds great. Going to get some exhaust bolts and the downpipe exhaust gaskets and get the car on the road!

Archived