LegacyGT.com

Legacy 3.0R White Smoke From Exhaust

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum and hopefully i will be an active member of it and show my love to the Subaru family

So, I'm having this really strange problem with my 2008 Subaru Legacy 3.0R.

To not get people board with details, i'm gonna mention the problem briefly at first and then i will hit the details of the trouble.

Short Story: There is a very bright white smoke coming out of the exhaust right after starting the engine. The smoke never disappear. It just keep of coming out. At the same time there are some signs of oil in the engine bay.

Details:

So 4 years ago (That's right 4 YEARS) I had a problem with one of the fan relays which stopped all fans suddenly at the middle of the road. I noticed some overheating

and i pulled over, and discovered that the relay is bad (I have enough experience as a mechanic from college). So i bought a new relay and the fans still wont run so i took

the car to the dealer and to my surprise they didn't know what is wrong with the car and the stayed there for a week until finally they said the problem is solved. So i took

the car and boom the fans are working until all of a sudden the car overheated again on the highway very far from any major shop. I opened the hood and looked at the relay

to find that hey unbelievably used a jumper on the relay to force the relay on :mad:

Important part of the story:

Anyway, i "temporarily" fixed the jumper jumper just to get to the nearest city which was almost 300 miles away. and after driving for an hours or so suddenly i got a Check engine light on along with many other lights flashing. and all of a sudden the car started to lose power, so i pulled over and when i opened the the hood a saw smoke coming from everywhere and a huge oil leakage on the right side of the engine right in front of the battery. I took a look at the exhaust area to find a huge wave of white smoke.

When i pulled the oil dipstick i found no oil even though I've checked the oil just before i traveled and it was OK.

The engine runs almost smooth but with this huge clouds of white smoke.

Here is a YouTube video of my car with those strange symptoms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibYOxKP6tj8&feature=youtu.be

Just some more important information:

1-The car has only 35k miles on it when this incident happened.

2-The car is NOT here in the United States. It is in Saudi Arabia.

3- The problem happened four years ago and i was unable to fix it or get it looked at because as i said before the car is in Saudi Arabia and i'm living here in the U.S.

4- The car has been sitting in the garage for the past four years and I 'm back to Saudi Arabia for a vacation and i decided to get your opinions on the situation. I have never started the car since late 2009 and the video above is just a quick start up after sitting for four years.

I really need your input regarding this issue and i really appreciate any comment on this.

Welcome to the site and glad you could join us.

It would seem that when the fans stopped, you overheated and, as a result, you've compromised your head gasket. White smoke is nearly always indicative of coolant leaking into the combustion chamber and the way it typically does that is through/around a failed/failing head gasket.

I'd recommend a compression and leak-down test on each cylinder to figure out where/what is compromised.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thank you very much for your reply.

Ok so is there any possibility that internal components are damaged?

Like: pistons, rods, crank? i mean anything inside the block?

I just want the car to be perfectly restored to it's original factory state. I don't want to be forced to fix anything internally that might got damaged by the overheating!

could compression and/or leak test be enough to investigate any internal engine issues?

Yes there is a potential. Any coolant that gets into your oil will both dilute your oil and corrode/compromise your internal engine's internal bearing surfaces. Leak-down and compression would show which cylinder(s) is/are leaking. It's also possible that you might have warped your head as well which would require either restoration or replacement. Sounds like shoddy assessment and repair on the mechanic/dealer's part, that's for sure.

And this should all be covered under the 5YR/60K engine powertrain warranty if that hasn't expired.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived