LegacyGT.com

06 Aus Outback JDO Stereo Install

acrobaticX

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After currency conversion and credit card charges paid about AUS $470.

You will need to allow about AUS$30 for a JDIN pocket or whatever you want to put in the spare slot, AUS$20 for a wiring harness and of course the new head unit. I got mine on special at JB Hi Fi for about $520. Set me back in total about $AUS1100.

The OEM speakers are shocking - if you only do one thing for sound quality replace these paper machae pieces of rubbish. You will be amazed at the difference. That will be a new post some time.

Rant follows.....

It irks me that while I lurve my Subies I literally get a better OEM stereo and speakers in a $15K drive away Hyundai.

Subaru Australia Product Planning TAKE NOTE !

Nice work and thanks for the pics! I'm just waiting on delivery of my 3.0R JDM OB and am seriously considering the same upgrades.

What speakers have you used to replace the stock ones? Much modification required?

I used 6.5" Polks in the front and "cheapies" in the back. I did use some MDF spacers to make sure the speaker magnets cleared the window mechanism. fiddly but not hard. Just about anything is better than the OEM speakers. Jaycar have some excellent speakers that given my time again I would use.

Absolutely do not use excessive force or tools to get the door skins off, there is a knack to it;

There are two screws behind the hand grip covers, the grip covers are held in place and located by springs clips and 'plastic bumps' one at the top and one at the bottom of the grip cover. Push UP HARD with your thumbs on the piece of door above the grip cover and pull the cover directly towards you. It will pop off.

There is another screw behind the handle backing plate that can be removed with a hook or small screwdriver to access it.

Do not over tighten the screws when reassembling as they are only set into pastic.

Yes - it plugs straight in for RHD vehicles, eg. Japanese, Australian and NZ. Interestingly all the original settings were restored when I plugged in the new unit, they must be stored in the ECU or some other 'body' computer.

It will not work with LHD vehicles, such as in North America, that have dual climate controls.

Its not cheap but the value is excellent considering SUBARU Australia want $900+ for a redundant CD Stacker. You probably would get most of it back at resale time or if you restored the OEM unit & 'ebayed' the upgrade. Prospective purchasers would probably be easy to find.

Great tips on door-skin removal, thanks again.

Not that I don't trust digital pics but how is the colour matching in real life between the new facias and the existing parts? Actually, are these parts made by Subaru or are they fully aftermarket creations?

BTW. Hope you can rub that little scratch out of your new facia also! :icon_eek:

The parts are genuine subaru and the colour/colour match and texture is perfect. The 'scratch' buffed out with a vinyl eraser - it looks worse than it was because of the the camera flash. Good eye, though.

Glad you mentioned the texture match as well. These small details are important!

Real challenge for me is going to be hooking up the steering wheel controls to the alpine head unit I'm probably going to get... Can't seem to find much info on the type of resistance/circuit method the buttons use.:confused:

I really wish they offered the McIntosh system in the US...

Good install pics mate...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I reckon the real trick with fitting that McIntosh system would be finding the places to put the extra speakers/amps that that system has.

The McIntosh units that I saw in Outbacks & Liberty's are not the great 13 speaker + sub units that came with 'Spec B's. They are just a very average rebadged Clarion hooked up to the standard ordinary 6 speakers, probably explains the "tuned for Subaru" labels, ie. built to subaru specs not their normal exceptionally good ones. In my opinion Clarion have not held anything close to true McIntosh values in this case. They do look great though, love that glass look, but still are an integrated non standard fit. BUT they are the best OEM you can buy, sound better than average with good speakers and, for all my bitching a breeze to interface AUX with.

Not sure the old McIntosh=Clarion angle is appropriate anymore? It's been owned by another company for 3 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%26M_Holdings

FWIW McIntosh have always maintained their car audio gear is designed and made in the US. http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/faqs.aspx#faq11

I use it as a good test of how much rubbish a stereo salesman is full of if he tries to pull that line.

I do agree that the 'standard' McIntosh system is not the same as the 13 speaker setup though - which would be the only one worth bothering with for me.

:) Just after I posted I remembered about that thread. Emphasis on most in the following quite from their FAQ seems key here: "... and most McIntosh car gear is built right here in Binghamton, NY.."

The murky world of OEM equipment!

These are the speakers that I pulled from the Outback. The 'black' ones are from the front and the 'brown' from the rear.

The Top three reasons why I don't like these at all are.;

1. The spiders (basket shaped bit) are made from plastic, while it is light and will not corrode it does nothing for rigidity.

2. the maget is tiny, seriously, I have fridge magnets that are bigger, and they are not 'rare earth' - just cant drive the voice coils properly.

3. The speakers are made from paper - no, not good accoustic stuff, cheap nasty stuff.

You can see that Subaru went to alot of effort to design the shape of these so that they fit the doors, seal well, and have oversize splash guards (don't want that paper getting wet!) shame they just don't use half decent speakers with standard mounts. As a comparison REPCO are selling generic speakers of the same 'standard' for AUS$6 RRP (yes, six over priced dollars).

The cheapest, best value and easiest thing you can do is replace these. You will see a DRAMATIC improvement in sound quality - even if you do nothing to the OEM head unit. You don't need to get a full set of Focals or Polks - just spend about $130 to replace the front two.

PS. The print on the back rates them as 4 Ohm 35Watts (MAX).

800x600_IMG_0952.JPG.58af7d02875f359704c74531999b6ac6.JPG

800x600_IMG_0953.JPG.e099d9dcbd72081b4a0b1a413691b773.JPG

800x600_IMG_0954.JPG.56e74b57fdb65fb0c3e32c89ab856fd5.JPG

800x600_IMG_0956.JPG.d6471f7592f620ee1d42a008057607c5.JPG

800x600_IMG_0958.JPG.7bdd62e0bbe677f9edfa0b8ab73f4a2f.JPG

800x600_IMG_0959.JPG.9e8fe1eb522166a8368486fb68bef3d8.JPG

800x600_IMG_0960.JPG.fd5254ee4cfda91e5c24345fa3e6273b.JPG

800x600_IMG_0961.JPG.657ef5e17068474f358b0b3f50ba6b8a.JPG

800x600_polkdb650.jpg.192206305b0e9ee149d03be4c7e5c4c2.jpg

Archived